Sunday, June 29, 2008

dyefest :-)

Gave my firtst dye class on Thursday, June 26th and was very successful and everbody had a great time! Here are Carol and Linda showing off a few first pieces. Mark custom fitted out part of my basement for a dedicated dye area and it worked out great!
Karen is back at the sink lightly rinsing the fabric, this is the first time I let the washer do the bulk of the rinsing before washing. What a huge difference. Carol is on her way to go hang the fabric on the line. I taught "tube dyeing".
Another shot of Karen at the sink...but look at all the fabric in the buckets just waiting to be washed...5 gals dyed 100 yards. I only dyed a few...mainly as demo...I spend the rest of the time teaching and helping out and keeping the dye and soda ash solution flowing.
I love these type of shots, the lines filled with lots of color. We filled the lines twice and dried the rest in the dryer. Everyone left with washed, dried and folded fabric. We had a potluck with grilled hot dogs and brats for lunch and then they went out and got two big pizzas for dinner. It was a great day. I cannot wait to see what they do with the fabric.
Tomarrow I am going to do a bit of dyeing for myself plus finish up a sample I am working on to take to Quilts 'n Stuff in Escanaba on Tuesday. I did a Wheels of Wonder tablerunner/wall hanging. Will take photo when it is done and post. Well, I better get back upstairs and back to work.




6 comments:

cinnamongirl93 said...

What beautiful fabric! I want some! Wow, the colors are so vivid. I have never tried to dye fabric before. It looks like it would be a lot of fun.
I'm with you, I want to see what your students will make with their new cool fabrics! Keep us posted.

Liz said...

Oh my! That looks like so much fun! The fabric looks great! How color fast is it?

susan said...

totally colorfast. i only use procion fiber reactive dyes...the industry standard. i just finished piecing the sample, tomarrow i will quilt and bind and take photo of. i love using my own fabrics!

Under the Lychee Tree said...

That fabric is simply dazzling! I'm impressed at how many yards you dyed. Lisa made the little kitty in my blog. I can hardly wait to see the pictures from the second dye class!

Tipper said...

Congrats on the dyeing room and the class!! The picture with the fabric on the line looks like a post card-so pretty!

Dana said...

Amazing to see all of it on the line. Wish I lived near you so that I could learn to dye too!