Thursday, April 28, 2011

Quilts and Cake

I was thinking...why not use some of those canned peaches we have lots of instead of pineapple. Well, it looks like it worked out great! This is the second time it came out perfect when I turned out onto plate. Mark said, well, I bet it would be good with the fresh raspberries we will be harvesting in July or fresh blueberries....I mean the possibilities are endless. When I go to Kauai, I could try Mango UpsideDown cake...now that sounds really good.


I probably started this quilt about 25 years ago, maybe less. Its a double irish chain with a seminole border. I do know Mike was still alive for many years after I finished piecing the top. The dark green is actually a green on green print of roses and the yellow fabric is roses. The coral is a batik and is the same coral color in the yellow print. I finally quilted it this fall so we wouldn't freeze this winter since all my quilts are plum worn out! Need to quilt another one for next year, we use two quilts. This one has a beautiful 100% washable wool form Dream Cotton. Mark loves that it hangs almost to the floor on all sides...it was originally for a kingsize bed, this one is a queen.


My girlfriend, Candace Tuell, who lives on Dummyline Road in Picayune, Mississippi (no kidding), called me about two weeks ago and asked if I could quilt a quilt for her. She needed by beginning of July for a wedding. Now, she has had this top done for over 20 years. It's all hand appliqued but since it is going to a couple that is not from a "quilting background" you know this puppy is gonna be thrown in the washer and dryer...cringe...she says she is going to make up a detailed description on the care of this quilt...she kept saying how major this was for her, to be giving a quilt like this away, I get it Candace. She wanted something quick but overall, it was a shame to do a loose meandering over the entire top, all that applique but it really turned out great! She forgot to send a backing and low and behold I had a pinkish fabric for the backing...I still have almost three yards leftover. Here it is loaded on the gammil; those boxes on the shelves in the background is part of my stash. The shelves are 20+' long and have three shelves with room on top. Those ar 54qt. boxes! and I left a huge part of stash on Kauai, gave away to sr. cente and friends...that darn 20' container would only hold so much and Mark kept harping about the washer, dryer, bed......


Here it is finished (well, the quilting anyway). Looks pretty good on my bed. It has that extra length for the pillow tuck. I think she is going to bind it with pink. The sides are not long enough for Mark but he thinks it turned out great! He did think it is pretty fem for a guy...yeah...they are a couple but he still thinks kinda a fru fru. But he would sleep under it.


Corner detail......so lovely.


Another shot of pillow tuck and center medalion.
I am now in the process of tracing an old old old Pacifica Pattern for a bikini for myself. Tori says I must wear a two piece. I only meant to trace the top but I did the whole thing. Will make out of some batik fabric I have and line with a hand dye or make out of hand dye and line with batik :-) anyway the bottom comes up almost to belly button, there were two styles, one pretty skimpy and this other view. When I have done I will photograph and post. My time is getting short until I leave. Just realized on Sunday that I am leaving on Mother's day and Mark told me today I get home two days after Father's day. I am going to have so much fun....yipee.....











1 comment:

Lisa Boyer said...

Looks beautiful! Can't believe you're coming to Kauai! Are you going to a No Nene meeting while you're here? BTW, you look great!